Friday, January 16, 2015

Juvenile Delinquency of the 50's.

I found it incredibly interesting reading and learning more about the juvenile delinquency problems of the 50's with the onset of Rock and Roll and Blackboard Jungle. Reading the article "Rock Around the Clock" Bill Randal is quoted as saying "Rock and Roll doesn't cause delinquency it reflects it." couple this with "sexually aggressive lyrics coated in euphemisms it becomes a total breakdown about sex." I always felt music itself is polarizing especially when the establishment is challenged. I remember asking my mom about that. She had four other sisters, so naturally they were all consumed by the new sounds coming from the subsequent  heartthrobs of their time, Bill Haley excluded. Mom would always tell me that at home Perry Como was always playing in the background while  Grandma  watched Lawrence Welk. Years later mom and I were watching Lawrence Welk on TV on PBS and she looked over at me and said "Now I'm an old lady, because I'm watching Lawrence Welk which I swore I would never do." I told her "this show was hilarious because you don't get to see people play the accordion on TV very often." Anyways I asked her if the music caused any problems at home growing up. she said, "not really." She said Blackboard Jungle came out the same year the Mickey Mouse club debut. So we listened to Rock Around the Clock, on record in our rooms then watched Annette Funicello. I asked her if the lyrics ever seemed racy, she said she was to naive to assume Great Balls of Fire meant anything than just that. She did add that being that my Grandparents were Italian growing up in Welby Colorado which was all Italians she was insulated from the problems that arose across the country, "my parents didn't mind us all listening to race records, but when my aunt Bernice dated a black guy....well then that was a different story." But I digress. Mom always told me that in high school "we dressed up to go to the movies, riots never broke out, we went to the sock hops to dance,  but since it was an all Catholic school they never played rock and roll music, they couldn't even wear patent leather shoes, cause the boys could see up the dress of the girls, but on our own and  on the radio was when we got to listen to our music, she told me. Then she pulled out an old 45 of Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers from 1956, the title I'm
Not a Juvenile Delinquent.

No comments:

Post a Comment